As the temp rises, so does your air conditioning costs. To keep your cooling expenses low you may be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Booneville?
It’s a common belief that turning your AC on and off throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your air conditioning running all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re out, and turning it back down when you return. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do everything for you.
It’s a lot more taxing for your system to achieve a constant setting for many hours. It can also result in a lot of wear and tear to your equipment, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it could also cause a reduced life expectancy for your air conditioner.
Regardless, the bigger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the more your air conditioning expenses will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your energy bills low in the hot weather? Here are our tips based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
Six Approaches to Enhance Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Modify Your Thermostat. The DOE says that you can conserve up to 10% yearly on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re out. Through the summer, it’s recommended to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s also important to forgo setting your thermostat to a lower setting than usual when you turn on your AC. This doesn’t actually cool off your home any quicker, it just causes bigger energy bills. While these temperatures might appear toasty, there are a number of methods to keep comfortable without having to always run the air conditioning.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can lessen energy by up to 14% over the course of the cooling season. It’s important to remember that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Furthermore, keeping blinds low and curtains shut throughout the day helps keep cooler air inside. There are also some window coverings designed to deliver extra insulation and boost energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky openings throughout a home permit conditioned air to easily escape and warm air to get inside. This can lead to your AC equipment needing to work harder to keep your home comfortable and your AC bills to climb. Make certain that any gaps, doors and windows are properly sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy fixes for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Plan for Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your AC is always performing at its most efficient. This allows our pros to locate simple issues before they become significant dilemmas. A well-kept air conditioner is typically more efficient and might even live for a longer period of time.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the best methods to ensure comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively adjusts the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works together with your smartphone to notice when you’re at home or gone to optimize your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 every year on energy costs.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioning Unit. You can figure a properly maintained AC unit to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly calling us for air conditioning repair or your energy bills are skyrocketing with no change in thermostat settings, it might be time for an upgrade. We offer many energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without negotiating comfort.
Enhance Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Booneville Heating & Cooling
No one enjoys seeing their air conditioning bill climb during the summer season. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy usage and costs low this summer, our team can help. Give us a call at 662-269-8716 or contact us online now for extra details.